What is Chemistry?
Chemistry impacts almost all aspects of human life. It is the central science overlapping all the other sciences. Let's discuss and discover the interactions of substances that shape our lives and our world.
What will we accomplish in this class?
The fastest growing body of knowledge comes from the fields of science. In order to understand our
place in the global community and to keep up with the rapid pace of discovery and technology,
we will . . .
· Demonstrate an understanding of the basic ideas and terms found in chemistry,
· Evaluate those ideas and terms by looking at new discoveries and how they relate to our lives,
· Develop critical thinking skills and objective problem solving in the lab,
· Prepare for future paths by thinking independently and creatively through proper writing skills,
listening skills, and studying habits,
What are the requirements for this class?
Attendance: To complete this class successfully, you must have consistent attendance. If you
miss work due to an unexcused absence, it will be counted as a zero.
Materials: The school textbook will be available for each student. Supplementary materials will
be provided as needed.
1. Binder with loose-leaf paper and dividers
2. black or blue ink pens
4. scientific calculator (bring daily)
5. Internet access for research and study
Lab Fees: Laboratory exercises are a necessary part of the science curriculum. A lab fee of
$5.00 is requested for this year. A receipt will be issued for every lab fee paid by a
student and deposited into a lab fee account. If there are concerns, please see me
as soon as possible.
How will you be graded?
Grades will be based on the following: (50% Testing, 50% All Others)
25% Class Work (participation, assignments, labs, homework, journal, activities)
25% Tests & 25% Exams
Parental Calls will be made for:
· Consistent absences or tardiness
· Failure to turn in assignments.
· Engaging in behaviors not becoming of a student at GWHS.
General Rules for Success in Ms. Cruz's Class
-Each other and the teacher
-The classroom environment and school property
-Our environment: Reduce, Reused and Recycle
-Be in your seat when the bell rings.
-Bring all your materials, everyday.
1. Progress Reports are issued every mid-quarter. Students are responsible for notifying their parents and returning their progress report signed by their parents by the time designated. Grades can also be monitored online at Powerschool.
2. Safety is an important issue in this class! Please do not eat or drink in class.
Follow all directions and wear the assigned safety gear.
3. Photos of classroom activities will be taken for class/school use and may appear on this or
the school website. If students are identified, only their first name will be used. Please
let me know if you have concerns.
4. A signed syllabus acknowledgment form must be submitted as soon as possible,
The Nature of Chemistry
Measurement & Data Analysis
Energy and Matter
The Structure of Matter
Interactions of Matter
Chemical Formulas and Bonding,
States of Matter
Solid, Liquid, Gas
Solutions and Solubility
Acids and Bases
Success in this course ultimately depends on you.
I am looking forward to working with you this year!